Or maybe I should say "Barthelona." Well, regardless of pronunciation, this city is freaking RAD. Since I have already had some experience with the feel of Spain, I was very excited to go back and Barcelona definitely didn't let me down. First off, it was SO WARM. I know Vanessa will disagree with me on this point, but considering it was still around the 40s in France when we went, having it be around 60 degrees everyday was GLORIOUS. I only wore a sweater. YEAH, JUST A SWEATER. It was awesome.
We flew in Friday and checked out the surrounding area of our hotel a bit, which was right next to placa Catalonia, the biggest one in the city. Then I went and got my haircut! By a French guy. hahaha. I was so excited to get all the dead hair off; it just did not handle winter very well. Then we went and had some tapas, paella, and sangria! Standard. Saturday we were on the tour bus all day, stopping a few times like at the Gaudi Park, which I forget the real name of, but it was really cool. So many people were there and there were a lot of musicians, performers and vendors around. Vanessa, Elen, and I went out that night and it was a lot of fun! Started off walking in to a bar with only drunk English men there, who of course proceeded to make a huge scene. We didn't stay long. haha. We then went to a night club that a few people had recommended, which I also forget the name of, but when we got there it was still half a restaurant. We were really confused by this, but soon after people started breaking down the lounge we were in and later the whole wall opened up and all the tables were moved. We met a guy from UCSB randomly, some very drunk Danish people, and these Dutch guys who were on our bus; all adding to the entertainment of the night. Great night.
Sunday was a late start after the long night so we went to check out the Sagrada Familia for real and then the Gaudi apartments. the Sagrada Familia is probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I don't think I have ever been that shocked by something at first glance before. It is sooo big! And I had no idea it was that unfinished! It basically is being constructed on the scale that gothic and medieval churches were back in the 1400s! It has already been under construction for over 100 years and you still can't walk through the center of it! So cool. We went up to the top and got a cool view of the city and the crazy staircases. Everything Gaudi did was directly influenced by nature too. It was so amazing, the columns were modeled after trees and the windows were shaped after some helix structure. SO COOL. I'm def planning on going back in like 20 years or something; I want to see how it grows!!!
Monday Elen and I went down to the port through Las Ramblas, the main street in Barcelona, and the market, and the gothic section of the city. We were wanting to rent vespas, but the guy at the rental place said he would only rent them to us if we knew how to drive already since drivers in Barcelona are crazy. Glad I didn't attempt that one. I did touch the Mediterranean though! Met up with Annette and Vanessa and had a nice lunch at the port then went back to the hotel to rest and so I could pack. It was a great weekend! I am so glad I got the opportunity to go! [THANK YOU ANNETTE!!!]
Such a great weekend. Now here's some pictures! More on Facebook!
Day 82 - BARCELONA
Gaudi Park
Sagrada Familia - Gaudi Facade
Inside - Column/Tree action
And Gaudi's Apartment
This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2010. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

It sounds like you had a great time! I am so glad you are having this experience, even though I miss you terribly! I cannot wait to see you! The south of France will be fantastic! I love you so much! Mommy xoxo
ReplyDeletegreat photos Kendra. I really loved the one of you in the front of the Eiffle Tower that your dad sent me. Hope you are geting some use out of your scarf.
ReplyDeleteLove grammy joan